Monday, June 2, 2008

Day Four

Ah, real food... That's what my entire day led up to, and it was so worth it.

I was feeling rather fed up with my food options today, much of which I blame on poor planning on my own part. I didn't have much prepared to take with me to work; so, I ate some cherries and sunflower seeds and almonds. Nothing very exciting.

After work, I headed to the Southside to meet a couple friends for dinner and cocktails before seeing Sex and the City. We went to Tusca. I've been there before, but only for drinks. Wow! The food was amazing. We had mussels, polenta with mushrooms and a cheese tray. The mussels were perfectly steamed with butter and wine; the polenta was cheesy and creamy and perfection; and the cheese, oh the cheese! There was a fantastic blue cheese (and honey to drizzle over it), a great smoky cheddar, a gouda and a wonderful brie. All of that and several cosmos definitely put me in the mood for the movie... The only things marring the evening were the dreadful service at the restaurant (they were not prepared for the crowd of women before the movie) and my friend's comment that giving up bread, etc. was crazy. This sentiment comes up over and over as I tell people how I'm hoping to change my shopping and eating patterns over the next few months.

I really don't think that trying to limit the amount of processed foods in my diet is that strange. I know that there will be times when a piece of bread is put on the table and I will eat it. I know that my birthday is next week, and, if a cake appears at some point in the day, I won't feel bad about having a piece. But, I don't want to continue going forward, eating haphazardly, not enjoying the good things in life and filling my body with unnatural substances. So, I will try to ignore comments that I'm being odd and do what I think is best for me.

I don’t have any set in stone rules for what to eat this summer. I’m going to avoid buying anything with ingredients that I don’t recognize. I’m also going to limit processed flours and sugar to the best of my ability. I’ll buy organic and local when I can. And, the rest? I’ll make up as I go.

No comments: