Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day Two

GO PENS!

Ok, with that out of the way, I'm hoping to be able to write/edit/post this entry before the third period of the game starts. The game is tied now and I don't know how I'm going to sit here through 20 more minutes of anxiety... I guess the fact that they are showing this game on a channel I actually have (finally) is a double-edged sword in that way.

This morning, I got up, went to the health food store and then the grocery store. I bought raw sunflower seeds and almonds along with some juices and frozen organic berries at my first stop; cherries and the makings for a salsa verde (recipe below) at my second.

Today was much better overall. I didn't feel any more hungry than normal, the result of having some fat in my food I believe. I did have a cup of decaf green tea this afternoon when I felt like I was getting a headache. The 2 mg. of caffeine seemed to do the trick because I felt fine after that. I snacked on watermelon and all the other fruits and veggies from yesterday along with some salsa and a smoothie made with a banana, half a bag of the frozen mixed berries and a splash of juice. It was delish.

I worked in my garden for a bit but found that I got tired pretty easily. Also, the discovery of a snake in my compost pile made me ready to stop almost immediately. After some research, I’m pretty sure he’s (I've named him Sunny, since he’s kind of yellowish) not poisonous. I’m thinking he’s a worm snake but won’t be attempting to get much closer of a look. Definitely makes me realize that it’s time to put my compost into the tumbler and get rid of snake habitats in my yard (outside of the huge patches of ivy, which I’m happy to share).

Tomorrow, I'll be getting ready to start the work week. Monday night is dinner out with the girls and a viewing of Sex and the City. So, I'm pretty sure I'll be eating some cooked stuff then; but I'm going to try to stick with veggies and no processed anything (read: no bread, pasta or desserts made with sugar... hmmm). Guess every change comes with some challenges/adjustments in the beginning.


Salsa Verde
1 lime
1 avocado
1 large shallot or a small onion
6-8 tomatillos
2-3 hot peppers
Cilantro (optional)
Salt

Cut and juice the lime into a large bowl.
Cut the avocado and toss with the lime juice.
Mince the shallot or onion.
Peel and chop the tomatillos.
De-seed and dice the peppers.
Roughly chop the cilantro.
Throw everything into the bowl, toss, and add salt to taste.
Enjoy with extra crispy tortilla chips.

No comments: