Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lots of Green

It was the first week for CSA produce deliveries. I was amazed at how much was in my crate on Friday: two bags of mixed salad greens, a bag of spinach, a head of lettuce, a bunch of kale, a bunch of basil, a loaf of seven grain bread and samples of two cheeses made by local farms. Everything was so fresh and green and the basil smelled amazing as soon as I picked it up.

Last night, I sautéed some garlic and spinach, cracked an egg over it all and scrambled it together. Then, plopped it onto some bread and topped it with mozzarella. Mmmm...

Tonight, I made some pesto with the basil and froze it. I can just imagine how good it will taste on some of the fresh pasta from the farmer's market.

Tomorrow, I'm hopping to make some kale and sausage soup.

So much cooking. So many flavors. So many different things to experiment with and enjoy.

I finally got some of my own veggie plants in the ground (one of which has already been eaten by something). I also bought a pitchfork so that I can move my compost without being in striking distance of Sunny. I didn't get as much as I hoped to done this weekend because I was so busy and it was SO HOT. But it was fun.

Saturday was the Southside House Tour. I was stationed at the City Theater, my favorite place to see shows in Pittsburgh. Afterwards, I went through a couple of the tour houses and then met up with a friend to get some lunch and go shopping. I got an amazing deal on a drawing pad because the cover was on backwards... So funny how things like that can lead to amazing discounts.

Today, I spent some time looking up recipe ideas for the kale and reminding myself how to make pesto. Shopping was so much fun, I only had to buy a few things to add to my ingredients. I have salad greens for the whole week and all sorts of other fun stuff to try.

Tonight, I'm drinking a glass of wine, trying to relax and gear up for the week. My birthday week! My last year as a twenty-something... It's crazy to think about it that way. But, I'm sure that this year, like the last few, will be a bit of an adventure. So, only a couple more days till I'm 29; I can't wait!

No comments: