Sunday, June 15, 2008

New Tastes

The challenge of receiving a crate of produce every week, and having no control over what's in there, is coming up with enough ways to use everything. It forces me to research ingredients (pea shoots are really edible?!?) and find new recipes. Often, the results don't resemble anything I've ever made before (or eaten for that matter).

Friday resulted in fridge-filling crate:
spinach
mixed salad greens
romaine lettuce
broccoli
parsley
kale
pea shoots
radishes
strawberries
two samples of the cheeses which will be available for purchase once a month

So, in addition to the never ending plates of salad, I've done some cooking this weekend. Last night, I made another batch of kale and sausage soup, this time for freezing. I used a spicy andouille this time; brought a new kick to the soup. I know it will be great whenever I thaw out the packages, maybe when the weather is cooler, and enjoy the fresh taste of summer veggies.

Today, I'm trying a totally new thing: pea shoot dumplings. I blanched the shoots, chopped them and added an egg, some pork, chicken broth, soy sauce and grated ginger. Stuffed some wonton wrappers with the filling and have them freezing on a tray. I did sample one; it was amazing. The flavor of peas is subtle and mixes with the saltiness and pork in a great way. Another hit. Now, I just have to wrap up the second half of the dumplings.

Next challenge: how to make some gluten-free versions of wonton wrappers so that I can share my cooking with my mom. I do have a couple recipes for gluten-free pasta, but I have yet to try any of them out. Hopefully soon.

All of the changes to my eating patterns have started to make a difference. I feel more energetic through the whole day. I haven't noticed the afternoon slump that usually hits a bit after lunch. And, when I did eat highly processed flour and sugar this week (in form of birthday cake and a fancy latté treat), I felt miserable. I thought I would fall asleep about 1/2 hour after eating and the feeling stuck with me for most of the day.

Also, I've managed to lose 3.2% of my body weight already. I can tell my body is working better with the new inputs.

So far, so good. Definitely no plans to go back to eating all the other stuff anytime soon.

No comments: