
Then, I rinsed them and noticed some small marks around the root and stem areas...
Then, I cut off the end of the worst marked...
Then, I saw the bugs, the worms, whatever.
What!?!
So, after a good bit of research today, I have discovered that my turnips were infested with cabbage root maggots (at least that's my best guess). The solution? More nematodes. Of course, all this a couple days after I poured the remainder from the milk jug in the fridge onto a patch of lawn.
That leaves me with two options: buy more nematodes and apply them to all of my raised boxes or hope that the worst has passed since the flies should crawl from the ground soon enough (and attack the leaves of everything instead of the root veggies). Decisions.
Oh well for the first big harvest moment of the season... Hopefully I'll have better luck with whatever I pull from the ground next.
No comments:
Post a Comment