Today was one of those days when the sunshine and warmth seem extra special, perhaps because there was snow on the ground yesterday morning. For whatever reason, it made me want to skip yoga and get my hands in the dirt... And, so I did.
I 'installed' my second garden box, except for the grid. I also moved some of my compost pile in an attempt to re-route the deer through my yard. They've already broken one of my grids; so, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the rest safe.
I felt some extra urgency for getting the boxes up and filled because there was a box waiting on my doorstop tonight: 150 strawberry plants. Why in the world do I always do that to myself? LOL. I actually think it won't be so bad planting them in the boxes. The 'soil' doesn't even require a shovel to dig; I can just move it around with my fingers. Still, 150 plants is a lot and I'll probably end up giving away at least a few of them.
Also, I know that I have some potatoes on the way. Not quite so many of them, but they still need to get into the ground relatively fast.
And, with all the veggies on my mind, it was exciting to read an article today about a weed that grows in my garden (and usually annoys the heck out of me), which is considered a vegetable in other countries. Purslane. I'm actually looking forward to it sprouting up and growing into something I can cook with.
But, beyond the joy of something new to try and taste, it seems really bizarre that we have so much here, that we consider something full of Omega 3's, that other peoples through the world grow and harvest, that is supposed to be rather tasty, to be a weed.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment