I am constantly amazed at how much people eat out these days. It is easy to notice the trend of young professionals eating the majority of their meals at restaurants or from take out places as many companies have added more 'everyday' value options to their menus. Friday's and Applebee's both have new campaigns emphasizing these items, ones that people can order every night of the week without guilt, financially or health-wise (maybe).
I often wonder why people live this way. Does it take that much more time to make breakfast, lunch, dinner? Is the convenience worth the loss of knowing what is going into our bodies? Is the lack of effort worth the additional financial cost?
Mind you, I love a great meal at a restaurant. A new taste or combination of flavors is something I treasure. It's something I've learned from; I've incorporated many ideas into my own cooking and tried to expand my own horizons by adding new spices and foods into my kitchen. Restaurants are a great way to eat with friends, celebrate an occasion or just take a break. But, I can NOT imagine eating out for every meal, the way many people I know tend to.
I realize that I am not like many people my age, I adore cooking. I think that chopping and mixing and tasting are calming. I love the experience of producing something delicious from basic ingredients. Many people don't bother to learn how to cook these days. I wonder if they see cooking as something intimidating that is complex and scary. I wonder 'if people realized how basic foods can taste so wonderful with so little effort, would they put more energy into feeding themselves and depend less on outside sources for their sustenance?'
I suppose there are some people who will never want to learn about cooking, but that doesn't keep me from sharing my passion for food with almost anyone I meet or talk to.
And, in that spirit, I'd like to share my modified recipe for Zucchini Bread. It's nearly fat free and wonderfully moist and yummy. Also, gluten-free all-purpose flour mixes can be substituted directly into the mix.
Nearly Fat-Free Zucchini Bread
Liberally oil a loaf pan.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together:
- 3 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 3 t cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 c applesauce
- 1 mushed banana
- 2 c shredded zucchini
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 peeled, chopped apple (optional) I like Granny Smith the best
Pour into the loaf pan.
Bake for about 1 hour or till a knife/fork/toothpick comes out clean.
Also, a great tip for zucchini, especially when you have tons of it in the summer: shred the zucchini and measure out in amounts needed for your recipes. Then, freeze it. Thaw as needed and throw into your bread recipe. Fresh tasting zucchini bread all year round!
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment